· Click Here to apply online
Financial Aid Outreach Counselor (S13095)
Job Description Summary
Financial Aid Outreach Counselor
Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus, has an immediate need for a full-time Financial Aid Outreach Counselor. We are willing to consider a candidate at the trainee level for this position. The position requires bilingual skills (Spanish preferred). The main work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5pm with some evening and offsite events during the Academic Year. This position is non-bargaining, non-exempt, Grade 27. For non-exempt positions, you are not eligible to work a secondary job at Montgomery College.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage a financial aid program and/or a financial aid process including the verification, awarding, and report processing.
- Coordinate and conduct financial aid outreach services and requests. Maintain financial aid outreach calendar
- Write, design, and conduct financial aid presentations and workshops in English and Spanish to students and family representatives at middle schools, high schools, community organizations and Montgomery College (MC) events.
- Plan and execute specials Initiatives and events for the Office of Student Financial Aid
- Create and manage social media content for the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Manage a caseload of student files for awarding. Reviews, verifies and analyzes financial aid applications and supporting documentation to determine a students’ eligibility. Authorizes student file awarding.
- Counsel and educate students, their families, and the community on federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs. Advise them on the regulations and procedures for applying for financial aid from various agencies.
- Manage cyclical reports for appropriate changes, adjustments and/or corrections to the student's data.
- Exercise professional judgement to reevaluate student eligibility for federal student financial aid.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of federal and state financial aid programs, and state and institutional policies. Understand the relation of federal regulations to Montgomery College Policy and Procedure.
- Use comprehensive knowledge of applicable laws and regulations, including Title IV, to interpret rules and regulations as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Counseling, Education, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred)
- At least three years (trainee level) of experience in financial aid. The position at a grade 27 requires five years of experience in financial aid.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current Student Financial Aid Office policies and procedures, state and federal financial aid regulations and policies, and institutional policies governing financial aid.
- Comprehensive knowledge of one or more of the following programs: loans, work study, scholarships or other federal or state programs and ability to perform needs analysis and prepare aid packages for students.
- Knowledge of institutional rules, guidelines, procedures, and practices, and of modern office procedures and practices as applied to the operations of a financial aid office.
- Thorough knowledge of customer service techniques for public contact.
- Skill in interpersonal relations (including serving a diverse community) with ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, and work effectively with others within and outside of the institution.
- Skill in the use of student financial aid data management systems and computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite software appropriate for the duties assigned.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
Please Note: We are willing to consider candidates who possess at least three years of experience in a financial aid office. In this situation, a candidate would be hired at a trainee level (one pay grade lower) and would remain at the trainee level for two years or until such time they have completed the training successfully.
- Experience with writing, creating, and conducting financial aid presentations and workshops in English and Spanish.
- General knowledge of student services area, such as Admissions, Registration, Business Office, Counseling and Advising, including FERPA and student confidentiality.
- Experience with Banner Financial Aid Student Information System Software.
- Experience with Document Imaging.
The job posting has been extended two weeks..
- Click Here to apply online
- This job posting is open until filled.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
Open Until Filled
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org