Owings Mills, MD
Admin - Financial Aid
The Financial Aid Counselor is responsible for providing direct service to students and their families in regard to the financial aid process and advises them in all phases of the aid application and delivery system. This position will evaluate financial aid applications and determine aid packages in accordance with federal, state, and institutional policies governing financial aid.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree plus one year of related experience in higher education, financial aid, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ellucian experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability
- Working knowledge of Title IV programs and federal and state regulations preferred
- Customer service experience
- Knowledge of integrated financial aid systems, Ellucian/Colleague preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must be organized, detail oriented, able to multi-task and work independently
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
• Accuracy and attention to detail are imperative
• Ability to collaborate with others and exercise sensitivity to matters of confidentiality
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Commitment to student service
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Position requires sitting for long periods of time in front of a computer, and may require additional hours during peak times. Sedentary work. Keyboarding, talking, hearing, repetitive motions. Close visual acuity. Not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
- Answer general and specific questions concerning financial aid and Stevenson University
- Evaluate caller needs and provides responses and solutions or determine the call should be researched by other staff members
- Provide follow-up to all inquiries when needed
- Assist students and parents in the completion of financial aid forms
- Counsel and advise students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, indebtedness, and money management.
- Provide a default management and debt counseling program to students
- Answer questions, inquiries, or requests from students, parents, or campus constituencies regarding financial aid programs
- Assist the financial aid staff in returning phone messages
- Code and scan documents essential to the financial aid processing into our systems (Colleague, Docescan)
- Collect and track financial aid documents
- Screen aid applications and supporting documentation submitted by students for accuracy and consistency
- Assist students with alternative loan processing, certifications, monetary adjustments, disbursements, and any communication. ScholarNet experience preferred.
- Serve as the first line of contact for the financial aid office to students, parents, faculty, staff, and members of the community
- Collect, verify, and/or analyze financial data on students to determine aid eligibility; makes awards with federal, state, and/or institutional guidelines
- Participate in student recruitment, outreach, and retention programs
Serve on various committees as assigned
Perform other duties as assigned
Reports to the Associate Director. Works under minimal supervision. Determines financial aid eligibility and makes awards.
Assist in the processing of financial aid often looking for solutions to help students. Determine that unusual and extenuating family circumstances may affect the ability to pay for college expenses and look for ways to help students wherever possible. Make professional judgments to adjust financial aid eligibility due to these extenuating circumstances. Review student appeals for academic issues and looks for ways to assist them.
Reports To: Associate Director, Financial Aid
Work Location: Owings Mills
Position Category: Staff
Open Until Filled: No
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stevenson.peopleadmin.com