Montgomery College, Office of Student Financial Aid, has need for a full-time, Financial Aid Specialist position #S03398. This is a bargaining, non-exempt, Grade 23 position. Non-exempt positions are not eligible to work secondary jobs at the College. Work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm including some evenings and weekends and traveling between the three campuses; position is located at the Takoma Park/Silver Spring campus.
Under supervision and/or direction, advise students about general financial aid regulations, policies and procedures, and assist students in completing the application process. Award financial aid to student and work with files and folders for awarding federal, state and institutional programs.
Work consists of performing administrative and technical activities of the financial aid programs. Duties encompass a variety of processes and methods. Follow established office procedures and assist counselors. Contacts are with the general public, students, parents/family representatives, college staff, and external agencies.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- · Processing, verifying, and awarding financial aid using established guidelines to eligible students during peak and non-peak times; verifying student enrollment, and adjust student awards accordingly, and documenting all actions.
- · Meet personally with students and parents to advise them on financial aid availability, application procedures, specific program requirements and limits, and academic progress requirements.
- · Collect personal information necessary to resolve conflicting data.
- · Facilitate loan entrance counseling sessions.
- · Answer oral and written inquiries from students, parents, faculty and staff about the financial aid process.
- · Make referrals, as necessary, to other Montgomery College offices and outside agencies. Contacts are with the general public, students, parents/family representatives, College staff and staff of other colleges/universities and external agencies, including lending institutions and government agencies.
- · Assist with on and off campus financial aid workshops and other outreach services.
- · Perform other duties as assigned.
- · Minimum of three years of experience working in a student Financial Aid Office.
- · Working knowledge of current Student Financial Aid Office policies and procedures, state and federal financial aid regulations and policies, and institutional policies governing financial aid.
- · Working knowledge of one or more of the following programs: loans, work study or other federal or state program.
- · Ability to perform needs analysis and prepare package aid to students. Ability to evaluate applications for financial aid and interpret and apply complex regulations.
- · Skill in the use of student financial aid data management systems.
- · Thorough knowledge of customer service techniques for public contact.
- · Skilled in interpersonal relations (including serving a diverse community) with ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, and work effectively with others within and outside of the institution.
- · Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships.
- · Thorough knowledge of office procedures and practices with ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks in a demanding office environment.
- · Exercise diplomacy, tact, and maintain confidentiality. Skilled in use of business English, spelling, grammar and conventional styles and formats used in office communications.
- · Ability to perform general office clerical work, apply technical rules and procedures, perform arithmetical calculations quickly and accurately, operate common office equipment including desktop computers and relevant pc hardware and software applications.
- · Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite.
- · Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Experience working or assisting with any of the federal, state or institutional programs.
- Experience with Banner Financial Aid Student Information Software.
- Experience with Document Imaging System.
- General knowledge of student services area, such as Admissions, Registration, Business Office, Counseling and Advising, including FERPA and student confidentiality.
Licenses and Certifications:
Additional Job Description
- · Online applications must be received by Monday, September 30, 2019
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- · Successful completion of a background check.
- · Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: email@example.com
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.