The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Student Financial Assistance office has an opportunity for an Assistant Director. The Assistant Director for Student Financial Assistance will manage the daily operations of the School of Medicine Satellite financial aid office. Provide counseling services to the MD and MD/PhD programs at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). This position practices counseling decision making principles and will provide financial aid counseling to students and their parents.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Manages the UMB financial aid for the School of Medicine MD and MD/PhD programs.
- Processes financial aid requests, updates data in financial aid systems, and maintains contact with external agencies in reference to financial aid.
- Reviews and reconciles student accounts and financial aid requests. Analyzes student information to determine eligibility for financial aid.
- Meets with students to explain the various financial aid programs, provide financial counseling to students and their parents, monitors student satisfactory academic progress, conducts exit counseling, and serves as primary contact for students who have withdrawn from their program of study.
- Keeps abreast in institutional, state, and federal regulations as it pertains to financial aid. Assists in developing UMB specific financial aid policy and procedure, and ensures financial aid staff is compliant.
- Serves as a liaison to faculty and staff in the School of Medicine.
- Delivers educational presentations for prospective students, orientations and required and optional LCME financial literacy programs.
- Works with the School of Medicine registrar on withdrawals and conducts exit counseling.
- Processes return of Title IV for MD and MD/PhD students.
- Partners with various internal stakeholders to award federal work study and to work on policy and guidelines for administering federal, state, and institutional aid.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in financial aid administration with two (2) years of independent work at a senior counselor level.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Title IV and Title VII financial aid programs.
- Knowledge of how state programs integrate with federal and institutional funding.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to make sound judgments about financial aid awards based upon comparisons and interpretations.
- Skill in communicating efficiently and effectively both orally and in writing with a variety of people internal and external to the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage both detailed and multiple tasks in concert with one another.
- Excellent computer skills to include working knowledge of EDE system, NSLDS, COD, Pell Processing and electronic loan processing.
- Banner Experience preferred.
- Leadership and team building skills.
- Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes.
- Ability to advance the use of technology in the financial aid process.
- Ability to use a consultative approach to resolve issues in area of responsibility.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Human Resource Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff - E3744E
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
Shift: Day Job
Organization: Academic Affairs - Enrollment Administration
Job Posting: Feb 8, 2019
Unposting Date: Mar 9, 2019, 11:59:00 PM