Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls over 22,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
The main purpose of his position is to assist the Financial Aid Department in the delivery of Financial Aid Services to students and their parents by facilitating the management and disbursement of funds.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Process financial aid for 15-20% of aid recipients. This includes but is not limited to:
- Award applicants with federal, state, and institutional awards in accordance with student eligibility and institutional policy
- Verify financial aid applications using federal tax transcripts, verifications forms, etc.
- Determine eligibility for Parent PLUS loans
- Identify, determine, and approve special circumstances warranting professional judgment modifications
- Review enrollment after add/drop period to determine student aid eligibility
- Review and process student aid adjustment requests such as part-time adjustments, additional loan requests, housing status changes, etc.
- Review reports to ensure compliance with federal regulations such as over awards, Pell LEU issues, loan limit issues, CFLAGS, etc.
- Process summer financial aid requests
- Award financial aid to study abroad students based on revised cost of attendance information; and determine eligibility for alternative loans.
Maintain current knowledge of federal/state regulations and institutional policy. Assist advising team with creating and improving office process and policies. Includes but is not limited to:
- Attend financial aid workshops, training sessions, and conferences
- Assist with development and maintenance of financial aid policy and procedures manual
- Coordinate with other offices on campus such as Bursar, Registrar, Admissions, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by Director or Associate Director of Financial Aid.
Responsible for management of several financial aid programs.
Examples may include Federal Work-Study, Physicians Assistant Program, Freshman Transition Program, Satisfactory Academic Progress, Dependency Override committee, Alternative Loans, and Study Abroad.
Counseling Activities: Assist financial aid call center as an on-call advisor; meet with parents and students to discuss questions, concerns, or problems with financial aid; correspond with students and parents by phone, email, and chat.
Participate in financial aid outreach such as:
- Admissions Open Houses and recruitment events,
- High school financial aid nights
- Freshman/Transfer orientations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree.
- Excellent customer service, communication , and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- One year of financial aid office experience.
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$52,000 - $55,000 annually and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 14 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission. To learn more about our benefits, please click here. TU also offers a variety of great perks and discounts, which can be found here.
Telework available for up to two days per week following the completion of 90 days of service in good standing.
If you are motivated, innovative and team-oriented, we would love to hear from you. For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume with your online application. This position will be open for a minimum of 14 days.
The safety of our students, faculty, staff, and neighbors has been our top priority and the focus of every one of our decisions since the earliest days of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, the University System of Maryland (USM) has strongly encouraged full COVID vaccination and up-to-date booster shots (when eligible) for all faculty, staff, and students at all schools in the USM as both a reasonable and necessary means of protecting our health and safety.
Organization: Division of Enrollment Management
Primary Location: Main Campus
Job Posting: Dec 22, 2022