Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls over 22,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
The Scholarship Advisor will help the Scholarship Unit provide information to students and parents about all Towson University scholarships and all State of Maryland aid programs and to facilitate the management and disbursement of scholarship funds.
Counseling activities: Serve as "On-Call" scholarship administrator each day, handling all student inquiries related to scholarships:
- Assist financial aid call center as an on-call advisor.
- Meet with students and parents to discuss aid questions, concerns, and/or problems.
- Correspond with students and parents by phone, email, and chat.
Maintain current knowledge of federal/state regulations and institutional policy. Assist Scholarship Unit team with creating and improving office process and policies. Includes but is not limited to:
- Attend financial aid workshops, training sessions, and conferences.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of financial aid policy and procedures manual.
- Coordinate with other offices on campus such as Student & University Billing, Registrar, Admissions, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Director or Associate Director of Reporting and Scholarships.
Process Towson University's campus-based aid from the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC):
- Responsible for processing regular data transfers between the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) aid system and Towson University’s Peoplesoft student information system.
- Ensure that recipients meet all eligibility requirements. Work with Technology Unit to ensure accurate and timely posting of awards.
- These programs include the Campus-Based Educational Assistance Grant Program, the Part-Time Grant Program, and the Graduate and Professional Scholarship Program.
- Funds must be awarded based on MHEC’s budget allocation and eligibility criteria.
- Prepare all required MHEC reports for these recipients.
Compliance review and awarding of additional grants, scholarships, and waivers:
- Ensure appropriate documentation is received for the awarding of grants, scholarships, or waivers.
- Verify that students are enrolled and meet posted criteria.
- Adjust other financial aid awards as necessary to comply with federal and institutional guidelines.
- Facilitate resolution of issues with students, departments, and relevant agencies.
- Includes Athletics Department Scholarships, Department Scholarships, Foundation Awards, Institutional Tuition Waivers, Other State Scholarships and Grants (e.g., DC Tag), Private Scholarships, Third Party Awards, State of Maryland awards (e.g., Edward Conroy, Foster Care), and University System of Maryland Scholarships.
Merit Scholarship Awarding:
- Coordinate the posting of new scholarship offers from the Admission’s Office and ensure that awards are correctly applied to students' accounts.
- Serve on the Scholarship Review committee.
- Assist the Scholarship Coordinator in identifying students who are not meeting scholarship standards.
- Assist in the notification of students and the proper recording of changes in the PeopleSoft system. Serve on the Scholarship Appeals committee.
- Assist the Scholarship Coordinator in collecting and reviewing the appeals of students who have lost their scholarships.
- Assist in notifying students of the results of their appeals.
- Each semester, run reports to identify students who have failed to maintain required GPAs and/or majors.
- Ensure that non-compliant students are properly notified of scholarship cancellations.
- Serve as the chairperson of the Scholarship Appeals Committee, ensuring that all appeals are reviewed promptly and that students receive prompt replies to their appeals.
Special Scholarship Opportunities:
- Collect and organize scholarship applications for unique scholarship opportunities.
- Assist in the application review process.
- Notify applicants of awarding decisions.
Telework may be available for this position up to two days per week following the completion of 90 days of service in good standing.
REQRUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years of experience.
- Excellent customer service, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and adapt to changing environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of student financial aid.
- Excellent communication skills, mathematical skills, and decision-making skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Two years of financial aid office experience.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$55,000 - $56,000 annually and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 14 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission. To learn more about our benefits, please click here. TU also offers a variety of great perks and discounts, which can be found here.
Telework available for up to two days per week following the completion of 90 days of service in good standing.
If you are motivated, innovative and team-oriented, we would love to hear from you.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume with your online application.
This position will be open for a minimum of 14 days.
The safety of our students, faculty, staff, and neighbors has been our top priority and the focus of every one of our decisions since the earliest days of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, the University System of Maryland (USM) has strongly encouraged full COVID vaccination and up-to-date booster shots (when eligible) for all faculty, staff, and students at all schools in the USM as both a reasonable and necessary means of protecting our health and safety.
Application Deadline: January 18, 2023
Organization: Enrollment Management Division
Primary Location: Main Campus
Job Posting: Dec 6, 2022
Contact: Crystal Simmons, Associate Director – Reporting & Scholarships, Financial Aid Office